Step 1 - Confirm a database connection exists
The 1st is to confirm if you already have a connection to the BEIMS database because it will be used later in the exercise. To do this (in Windows 7), navigate to Start > All Programs > Pulse > Utilities and click on ‘Local Configuration Manager 32 and 64 bit’. It will list the BEIMS/PULSE database connection/s you currently have.
Note database details :
Make a note of the ‘Database Server’ and 'Database Name' from the the correct source database (Test or Prod):
Step 2 - Open Microsoft Excel and import data
- Launch MS Excel and open a ‘New Blank Workbook’. Click on Data > From Other Sources > From SQL Server :
- The following screen will then open. Enter the ‘Server Name’ as noted earlier and then select the ‘Use the following User Name and Password’ option under ‘Log on credentials’. BEIMS comes with 2 two database users, BEIMS and REPORTS. The REPORTS user is a read-only account and that is what you’ll need to use here. You may need to get the password from your I.T team and because it’s only a read-only account, I.T should be able to give it to you.
Please note, the default password for this account is reports and mostly remains unchanged so you may try that before contacting I.T.
- Once you’re authenticated, choose the correct database (same as the one noted earlier in Step 1)
select ‘Connect to a specific table’ and then from the list of tables, select the table that you want to import to MS Excel. For this example, we’ll use the ‘Asset_Details’ table. Click on ‘Next’ and then on ‘Finish’.
- Choose where you’d like MS Excel to put the data (place the cursor in the A1 column) and then on OK’:
- MS Excel will pull the entire table from the database as shown below:
Things to note
- This is a copy of the table in the database, hence, the original database table will remain unaffected from any changes made in MS Excel. Feel free to manipulate data (add/remove columns, use filters etc.) as you see fit.
- The imported table will show all the data and not just for your domain/department/site etc. You can use the MS Excel filters to remove irrelevant data.
- You can save this spreadsheet for later use and may also refresh its data before each use so that you can get an updated copy of the database table. To do this, click on ‘Refresh’ button under ‘Design’:
If you have any queries, please feel free to contact Zuuse Support:
Phone: +61 3 9672 6161